Peanut Butter Apple Cookie

3-ingredient cakes

by Elise on July 5, 2011

in 4 ingredients or less, All recipes:, Cookies

“K-I-S-S: Keep It Stupid Simple” is a mantra that should pop in my head more often. Sometimes I feel like many of us (women especially) are so addicted to trying to make things so complicated, perfect and impressive that they turn into a nightmare rather than the dream we had in mind.

Using a simple approach I came up with 4 healthy cake recipes using only 3 ingredients per cake. These cakes are just easy, quick, no-fuss healthy treats.

Walnut cake

1 cup walnuts, 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons agave nectar
Process walnuts in a food processor and mix with yolks and agave.  Whip egg whites.
Gently fold egg whites into the batter
Cook for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celcius (360 degrees Fahrenheit)

Banana cake

1 big banana (or 2 small bananas), 2 eggs (or 2 egg whites if you want to cut down 8 grams of fat), 1 scoop of protein powder
Process everything together
Cook for 20 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius (430 degrees F) or until lightly brown on top
Enjoy as a pre or post workout snack

Brownies

1 can of black beans, 1/2 cup of fat reduced cocoa, 2 bananas
Rinse the beans to get rid of the liquid of the can and process everything together
Cook for 20 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius (430 F) or until top seems cooked.
Enjoy in case of chocolate cravings

Peanut butter cookies

1/2 cup of protein powder, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, 1 apple
Process everything together and make little cookie balls.
Cook at 220 degrees Celsius (430 F) or until cookies are slightly brown.
Enjoy still warm or cold

These basic recipes can obviously be made more interesting or fancier by adding flavorings (vanilla, orange peel, instant coffee powder, etc.), extra ingredients (dried fruits, nuts, chocolate chips) and sweeteners if you feel you need them!

Pin It

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

BabyWilt July 5, 2011 at 09:07

Those Peanut butter cookies = YUM. I am going to have to try them.

Laura King September 18, 2011 at 16:51

Your blog is just amazing. I never imagined you could satisfy a sweet tooth with healthy ingredients so effectively. Please keep it up – have sent a tweet about it.

Elise September 18, 2011 at 17:31

Thanks Laura, this is really sweet of you! I haven’t post anything new for a little while, so your comment just comes at the right moment for me for extra blogging motivation!

Brandon November 21, 2011 at 03:39

Wow, I think it is really neat the number of desserts you were able to make with three ingredients! -Brandon http://www.theyummybits.com Twitter: @theyummybits

Quirky Jessi November 23, 2011 at 10:02

I haven’t actually tried making brownies with black beans, but keep meaning to. It seems so simple! I do make my cakes/brownies with pumpkin puree quite often, though, and not only does it simplify the ingredients some, it makes them a bit healthier and just as yummy.

Patricia November 27, 2011 at 09:41

Hi, we tried your banana cake recipe at home and it didn’t turn out the way yours did. Ours turned out tough, rubbery, and dry, and doesn’t have the same fluffiness your cake exhibits when cut. May I ask what kind of whey product you used? We used ON Gold Standard 100% Whey and doubled the recipe (2 bananas, 4 eggs, 4 scoops of whey powder). We cooked it at the recommended temp and time. Did you make any adjustments to the recipe?

Elise November 27, 2011 at 14:10

Hi Patricia, I use whey isolate in my recipes. If the cake was too try, maybe there wasn’t enough bananas or the bananas were too small. The bananas are the ingredients that make this recipe taste good, so more is always better with bananas.

Patricia November 27, 2011 at 15:49

Hi Elise, thank you for your reply. Maybe we’ll try the recipe again sometime. I looked at your recipe pic again and realized that the bananas we used are indeed much smaller than the one in your picture. Thanks a lot!

Megs November 29, 2011 at 16:52

I had the same issue as Patricia when I made them last night. I will try again with more banana or maybe adding some peanut butter (I know that will make it a 4 ingredient dessert). They aren’t bad though perfect with my morning coffee!

Anonymous December 21, 2011 at 22:41

im making the walnut cake right now. didnt have walnuts though, so i used pecans instead. i added stevia in place of agave nectar as well and used a little vanilla for flavor. it would probably be nice with a bit of fresh lemon juice too. cant wait to see how it turns out ! : )

Elise December 22, 2011 at 17:59

Excellent idea, let me know how it turned out!

(what runs) Lori January 16, 2012 at 01:24

These are all pretty darn cool! I love that you have quite a few variations of 3 ingredient cookies! Fun stuff. And WAY easy. I really want to try the banana ones and the PB one… and the PB Apple! Delish!

Sarah February 11, 2012 at 08:54

Would you happen to have the nutrition facts for these?

Elise February 11, 2012 at 10:48

No, I didn’t calculate them on my ‘old’ posts. Now I use the site http://nutritiondata.self.com to calculate them on all my new posts. I may update this post when I have some time.

Amy March 6, 2012 at 02:06

I made the Peanut butter cookies however I did add 1/2 cup splenda, 1 tsp vanilla and 2tbsp water to loosen the batter. Also I topped w 5 dark chocolate chips.. So satisfying for our sweet tooth…. I will make this again.

Elise March 6, 2012 at 11:06

Sounds delish!

Eliza April 16, 2012 at 15:48

I tried out the banana cake but mine isn’t anywhere near as dense as yours! Mine were really light and fluffy – I think I beat them for too long and the egg whites really fluffed up. Also I only put in one scoop of protein powder (32gms) as your recipe suggested – should it have been 2 instead? It was delicious and light anyway, but I really wanted that cake consistency lol! Thanks for the recipes, they are great (I sneakily added some cinnamon and a little extra vanilla to my banana cakes!).

Elise April 16, 2012 at 17:03

Yours sounds much better than mine! Yes, good idea to put only one scoop of protein powder, the more protein powder you put, the drier the cake.

sophie August 22, 2012 at 23:07

hi there- how many grams would a scoop of protein powder be? thanks!

Elise August 22, 2012 at 23:27

30 g

Confused Truffle August 28, 2012 at 00:23

For the peanut butter cookies, if you replace the apples with greek yogurt (about 1/3 cup), they will be moist and delicious, not to mention lower in carbs! ;)

Great recipes.. thanks for posting!

Elise August 30, 2012 at 17:40

Thanks for the suggestion Kayleigh!

Winnie Tan October 18, 2012 at 01:37

Hello everyone,
Thank you for sharing your notes.
Thank you Elise for sharing your healthy recipes. Just what I have been looking for.
Stumbled onto your blog whilst searching for healthy eats. I just love baking & experimenting.
Will try some of your recipes this weekend.
BR Winnie
Singapore

Elise October 19, 2012 at 20:49

Thanks Winnie, let me know how it went if you give some recipes a try!

Elena October 23, 2012 at 13:55

I’d love to make the peanut butter cookies but I don’t have protein powder, (and I don’t want to buy it just for this). Would you have a suggest for an ingredient to replace it with?

Elise October 24, 2012 at 11:28

Hi Elena, you could use powdered skim milk or coconut flour as replacement.

Jamal March 24, 2013 at 21:17

Dear Elise,
My brownie’s came out a slightly undone in the middle? What would you suggest to help fix that?

Elise March 25, 2013 at 18:04

Hi Jamal, the texture of this brownie doesn’t end up 100% like real brownies, but normally you should be able to cut it without having the brownie falling apart. Try to bake it a couple of extra minutes and store the brownie in the fridge for a couple of hours before trying to cut it into pieces.

Anne September 25, 2013 at 20:38

Hi, I was wondering if I can leave out the protein powder in these (and your other) recipes, and if not, with what kind of subsistude can I replace them?
Thank you!

Elise September 25, 2013 at 20:44

You could replace it with powdered skim milk. Usually you can find it in the milk or coffee aisles at the supermarket.

charlie January 27, 2014 at 00:26

hello!!! I love these!! question: my oven broke down a month ago – I was wondering if the PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE recipe would still work if I use a toaster over….whaddya think?

Elise January 27, 2014 at 14:10

Yes, I think so, they don’t need that much time in the oven anyway!