Chocolate chip protein cookies

Oxygen Magazine Chocolate chip cookies

by Elise on February 3, 2011

in All recipes:, Cookies, Whey, With chocolate, With protein powder:

Oxygen Mag Sept 2010, page 80

I found this recipe in an old issue of Oxygen Magazine (September 2010). My cookies didn’t turn out as beautiful as in the magazine. Maybe because I didn’t follow the recipe…at all!… :) But they were still really comforting to eat after a brutal bootcamp work-out :)

The ingredients in the recipe were:
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (I put a mix of different flours – quinoa flour, soy flour, and regular whole wheat flour)
- 2 cups whey protein powder (I put a bit less, 1.5 cup because hey, whey protein powder is not that cheap!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 cups low-fat small-curd cottage cheese (didn’t have small-curd cottage cheese, I put regular cottage cheese)
- 1/2 cup honey (I put 1/4 cup of agave nectar)
- 1/4 cup canola oil (I didn’t put oil at all but a cup of unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1 egg (I put 3 to compensate not enough protein powder)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (didn’t have it on hand)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I didn’t have chocolate chips so I took a chocolate bar and cut it in chunks)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I didn’t have walnuts, I put an old banana instead)

My ingredients

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Combine dry ingredients together, wet ingredients together, mix dry and wet ingredients together, add chocolate and banana (or walnut) pieces.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes until the cookies are slightly brown on top.

Nutrition facts per serving: 99 calories, 3 g of fats, 11 g of carbs, 5 g of sugars, 7 g of protein. But it was written in the magazine that the recipe makes 38 servings! Which means their cookies are actually super small!

And here are my cookies, huge (they must be like 300 kcal each!) and slightly too brown on top:

They look totally different than in the magazine, but then again,
I gave my own twist to the recipe! I’m not too disappointed!

Pin It

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

katdoesdiets February 3, 2011 at 18:53

You bake like I do, lol. I’ll have to try these!

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 3, 2011 at 19:35

mmm I just made protein cookies the other day. Its a great idea to add cottage cheese. I bet they tasted marvelous!

Laura February 4, 2011 at 05:43

Yum, thanks for sharing the recipe!

DonnyFan February 4, 2011 at 19:58

drooooolll….. cookies…….. :p x

Νίκη March 21, 2011 at 16:23

i m gonna try this one and only almost 100cal per 2!wow~

James May 25, 2011 at 19:22

I just made these with my 8 1/2 year old son, and he seems to really like them. Here are the exact ingredients I put in. 1.5 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups vanilla whey protein powder, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1.5 cups low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup honey, 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 ripe banana. This made 19 Large cookies for me.

James May 25, 2011 at 22:48

I just did the math on all of this, for 19 large cookies, it comes out to this. I have cut them in half though, so I have 38 now, but here’s the info for 19 large ones. 227 Calories 4g fat 2g sat fat 0g trans fat 44mg cholesterol 63mg sodium 27g carbs 2g fiber 13g sugar 22g.

Elise May 26, 2011 at 15:54

James, I made about 7 very large cookies. I would say 14 normal cookies. I think the nutritional information from Oxygen magazine is for very small cookies: “Nutrients per serving (2 cookies): 99 calories, 3 g of fats, 11 g of carbs, 5 g of sugars, 7 g of protein.”

Angel September 4, 2013 at 14:33

For the dummies adding the cottage cheese for taste/ to bind ??

Elise September 5, 2013 at 14:07

hi Angel, sorry I don’t understand your question, what do you mean by adding cottage cheese for taste/ to bind? Yes, cottage cheese is on the “official” list of ingredient in Oxygen original recipe.